DQAC Update - 12/21/16
The Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) is currently in the process of amending and implementing several new rules impacting the dental profession. Stakeholders are encouraged to weigh in with public comments before rulemaking proposals are finalized. All comments should be submitted to DQAC Program Manager Jennifer Santiago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Rule Implementation Date
WAC 246-817-550 and 560: Acts that may be performed by licensed dental hygienists under general and close supervision
Beginning January 13, 2017, the updated acts that may be performed by dental hygienists under general and close supervision will take effect.
The adopted rules contain the following changes:
• The addition of head and neck examination to general supervision;
• The addition of administering local anesthetics including reversal agents and buffered anesthetic under general supervision when certain conditions are met, and the clarification of when these tasks are required under close supervision;
• The addition of taking specific impressions to general supervision;
• The addition of the delivery of pre-medication for antibiotic prophylaxis to general supervision; and
• The amendment of the administration of local anesthetics in close supervision by adding reversal agents, buffered anesthetic, and reference when general supervision is appropriate under WAC 246-817-550 (6).
Rules Needing Comment
WAC 246-817-120: Examination content
The proposed amendments seek to clarify that a complete clinical examination from one testing organization is required for dentist licensure. The commission has also considered amendments to restrict the number of attempts to pass an examination- the current proposed rule does not include a requirement to restrict the number of examination attempts or require remediation for failed examinations.
The proposed rule would add a requirement that all exam sections be completed/passed through one testing agency, change the Canadian clinical examination as acceptable, and make minor grammatical edits.
All comments regarding the proposed rule changes must be submitted no later than January 16, 2017.
WAC 246-817-760: Moderate sedation with parenteral agents - Rule Hearing January 27, 2017.
The proposed rule amendments updates monitoring and equipment requirements to align with the American Dental Association (ADA), the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD), the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS), and the American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA) national standards currently being used by dentists. The proposed rule sets minimum patient safety standards while administering moderate sedation with parenteral agents.
All comments regarding the proposed rule changes must be submitted no later than January 20, 2017.
Alternatively, you may testify verbally at the hearing on January 27, 2017. The hearing will be held during the January 27, 2017 regular scheduled Dental Quality Assurance Commission business meeting at the DoubleTree Suites, 16500 Southcenter Parkway, Seattle, WA 98188.
More information on these rule changes can be found online at the Department of Health’s website.