Last Friday, the Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) held a public meeting to discuss ongoing business before the commission. Here are the highlights:
- DQAC held a public hearing and adopted rules for implementing dental anesthesia assistant certification. The adopted rules can be found here.
- DQAC intends to continue rule making on rules related to dental records. A copy of the current rules draft can be found here and a previous post about dental records rule making can be found here.
- DQAC has asked the Department of Health to support legislation to require Expanded Function Dental Auxiliaries (EFDAs) to complete continue education as a requirement for licensure renewal. At this time, it is unclear if or when DOH will support this legislation.
- DQAC will begin rule making on HB 1330 later this year. HB 1330 permits dental hygienists to place topical anesthetic under general supervision and assistants and EFDAs to place topical anesthetic under close supervision. State rules need to be updated to be in compliance with HB 1330.
- DQAC intends to begin rule making on the dental anesthesia rules to require monitoring of end-tidal CO2 for some levels of sedation. More information about the scope and timeline for this rule making will be provided at a later date.
- Lastly, DQAC also discussed continuing education audits that have been taking place since the beginning of the year. WSDA encourages all dentists to complete their required 21 hours of continuing education each year and to appropriately document their course work. More information about the audits can be found here.
Please contact Mike Walsh, WSDA's Government Affairs Coordinator at email@example.com or 800-448-3368 with questions.