All dentists and dental hygienists must complete continuing education hours annually in order to renew their license. There are numerous regulations surrounding how much, and in what areas, you need to obtain CE, how you need to document it, and how you can obtain it.

In an effort to help you navigate through the CE requirements put forth by the Department of Health, we have compiled the answers to some of the most frequently asked question​s below.

For more information, visit the Washington State Department of Health's dentist continuing education web page

  • How many hours of CE are required annually?
  • Who within the office is required to complete CE?
  • How do I document that I have completed my CE requirement? Is the CE verified?
  • What CE is needed to administer anesthesia and how often?
  • Are there other ways to obtain CE without going to classes?
  • How does WSDA help you track your CE credits?
  • How does WSDA help you obtain CE credits?
  • How long do you need to keep a record of your CE?
  • Will the Department of Health give any extensions for completing CE?
  • Are there rules about the content that my CE must cover?
  • We want to provide a continuing education course. How do we obtain approval?
  • Are live webinars considered self-study?
  • Does my study club have to be recognized by some entity to be considered acceptable?
  • When do I need to take the dental jurisprudence examination?