The Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) recently adopted rule amendments to dentist continuing education (CE) rules and added a new rule requiring dentists to complete a one-time training in suicide prevention.
Amended Dentist Continuing Education Rules – Effective January 1, 2019
DQAC recently adopted rule amendments to clarify CE subject matter, describe different ways to obtain CE, the number of hours a licensed dentist may devote to specific CE activities, and identify mandatory CE of the dental jurisprudence examination.
Additionally, the rule amendments change the reporting period of CE from 21 hours annually to 63 hours every three years. Please note that you will still continue to renew your license on an annual basis, but will attest to the completion of 63 hours of CE every three years.
Some highlights of the rule include:
- There will no longer be a limit on the number of hours a dentist can claim for continuing education provided by a CE provider either online or through the mail. However, dentists will only be able to count thirty minutes for every one hour completed for this activity.
- The direct clinical supervision of dental students and dental residents may count for up to 21 hours of CE every three years.
- Current certification or recertification from any specialty board approved and recognized by the ADA, ABDS, or other specialty board certification or recertification approved by the Commission will count for 62 hours of CE. The Commission will also accept the award of Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry, Master of the Academy of General Dentistry, or the Lifelong Learning and Service Recognition Award as 62 hours of CE. The certification, recertification, or award must be obtained in the three-year reporting period.
- Dentists will be required to complete the Commission approved dental jurisprudence exam once every three years. One hour of CE will be granted for completion of the exam.
New Dentist Suicide Prevention Education Rules – Effective August 1, 2020
The adopted rule implements Engrossed Second Substitute House Bill 1612. The law amended RCW 43.70.442, adding dentists to the list of professions required to complete a one-time, three-hour training in suicide assessment
that includes screening, referral, and imminent harm via lethal means.
- This training may count towards CE requirements for license renewal and must be completed by the end of the first full CE reporting period after August 1, 2020, or during the first full CE reporting period after initial licensure, whichever is later.
- A licensed dentist who has completed a three-hour training in suicide assessment, treatment, and management curriculum at the UWSoD prior to licensure is exempt from the one-time training requirement.
- Commission-approved training completed between July 23, 2017 and August 1, 2020 is accepted as meeting the one-time training requirement.
for a list of Commission-approved trainings (scroll down to “Three-hour training for pharmacists and dentists”).
Both WSDA and DQAC will provide more information regarding the updated dentist CE requirements in the coming months. In the meantime, please direct any questions to email@example.com
Join the Email List
Stay informed about the rules and regulations affecting your profession, sign up for the interested parties email list