The WSDA's advocacy program is directed through the Committee on Government Affairs in affiliation with DentPAC, a political action committee. The House of Delegates establishes policy on issues, while the WSDA Board of Directors provides interpretation of these policies. The Committee on Government Affairs guides development of the WSDA's legislative agenda and response to legislation.
The Committee on Government Affairs (in consultation with the Board of Directors) applies the below core principles with the existing political climate of the Legislature, to determine its advocacy strategy.
- It is in the best health and safety interest of the public at large and dental providers
- It maintains and protects the diagnostic authority of the dentist
- It is cost effective for the public
- It is cost effective for the dental profession
- It addresses those in need of dental services and provides adequate reimbursement to the provider of the dental service
- It maintains the integrity of the dental delivery system