Last Friday, the Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) held a public meeting to discuss ongoing business before the commission. Here are the highlights:
- Dr. Charles Meredith, the Director of the Washington Physicians Health Program (WPHP) presented to the commission. WPHP is currently monitoring 315 practitioners from six different health professions including dentists. Those enrolled in the program suffer from substance use disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, disruptive behavior or are medically disabled. Of the practitioners who have participated in WPHP, 83 percent have not relapsed since completing the program.
- Dental Anesthesia Assistant’s (DAA) rules were adopted in June and DOH has already begun certifying applicants. Currently, there are three DAAs active in Washington with an additional 15 DAA applications under review.
- The commission reviewed the proposed Dental Treatment Record rule modifications. DQAC’s Dental Treatment Records Rule Committee will continue working on the proposed rules and update the commission at their December meeting.
- The final rules for dental license renewal fees were filed on October 16. License renewal fees for dentists will decrease by $176 beginning January 1, 2014. For more information on license renewal rules click here.
- In the coming months, DQAC will begin reviewing rules for graduates of non-accredited schools, general anesthesia and deep sedation, and administration of anesthetic agents for dental procedures. WSDA will continue to provide updates on new rule changes as they happen.
Should you have any additional questions regarding legal and regulatory issues, please contact WSDA's Government Affairs Coordinator, Mike Walsh at email@example.com or 800-448-3368.