Reminder: 6/3 DQAC Rules Hearing
The Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) will be holding a rules hearing at 8:00 a.m. during their June 3 meeting to consider adoption of amendments to the following rules:
Delegated Duties for Dental Assistants and EFDAs
- WAC 246-817-510 Definitions
- WAC 246-817-520 Supportive services that may be performed by registered dental assistants
- WAC 246-817-525 Supportive services that may be performed by expanded function dental auxiliaries (EFDAs)
- WAC 246-817-540 Acts that may not be performed by registered dental assistants
- WAC 246-817-545 Acts that may not be performed by expanded function dental auxiliaries (EFDAs)
The proposed rule amendments update the scope of practice (listing of allowable and prohibited tasks that may and may not be performed) for registered dental assistants and licensed expanded function dental auxiliaries. The scope of practice (list of allowable and prohibited tasks) has been an area of confusion for licensed dentists, registered dental assistants, and licensed EFDAs. View the proposed rule changes here.
License Without Examination for Dentists Licensed in Another State Whom Apply for WA Licensure
- WAC 246-817-130 Licensure without examination for dentists – Eligibility
- WAC 246-817-135 Licensure without examination for dentists – Application procedure
- WAC 246-817-140 Licensure without examination for dentists – Licensing examination standards
The proposed amendments detail license without examination eligibility and application requirements in a single existing rule. The proposal would remove unnecessary license requirements and application procedures and eliminate conflicts within the current statute. View the proposed rule changes here.
Interested stakeholders are encouraged to provide any comments related to the rule changes directly to DQAC’s Program Manager, Jennifer Santiago, at email@example.com or post on the Department of Health’s rules comment page at by May 27, 2016.