DQAC Update: New Rules to Take Effect 3/13/17
The Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) recently adopted modified rules related to the scope of practice for registered dental assistants and licensed expanded function dental auxiliaries (EFDAs) (WAC 246-817-510, 520, 525, 540 and 545). These rule modifications update their scope of practice and eliminate confusion among dental professionals.
Delegation definitions changes include (WAC 246-817-510):
• Changing close supervision to be consistent with RCW 18.260.010.
• Changing coronal polishing by moving the dentist’s responsibility for evaluation to prior to dismissing the patient to the list of allowable task as it is a condition of the task not defining the term.
• Changing general supervision to be consistent with RCW 18.260.010.
• Changing luxation by deleting a sentence that refers to what luxation is not. It is unnecessary.
• Changing suturing by deleting a sentence that refers to what suturing is not. It is unnecessary.
• Deleting noncredentialed person as it is not necessary.
• Correcting elevating soft tissue, incising, oral prophylaxis, and volunteer dental assistant wording and grammar.
Dental assistant allowable tasks changes include (WAC 246-817-520):
• Adding placing cavity liners and bases;
• Adding sterilize equipment and disinfect operatories;
• Adding bonding attachments for clear removable orthodontic aligners;
• Adding a dental assistant cannot intra-orally adjust or finish permanent restoration as part of polishing restorations;
• Adding apply bonding agents to perform acid etch;
• Adding remove orthodontic cement and orthodontic bonded resin material to fixed orthodontic appliances;
• Detailing specific types of impressions and added digital scans;
• Clarifying that starting and stopping the flow of nitrous oxide as part of assist in administration of inhalation minimal sedation (nitrous oxide);
• Clarifying select and fit orthodontic bands;
• Clarifying a dentist shall determine teethe are free of calculus before dismissing the patient after a dental assistant performs coronal polish;
• Rewording place, expose, and process radiographs;
• Rewording placing a matrix and wedge for a direct restoration after a dentist has prepared the teeth;
• Rewording fabricate, cement, and remove temporary crowns or temporary bridges;
• Rewording prepare teeth for the bonding of orthodontic appliances;
• Rewording give patient education in oral hygiene;
• Adding language to require a dentist to ensure the dental assistant has demonstrated the skills necessary to perform each task competently, specifically to address use of high speed versus slow speed hand pieces; and
• Deleting taking health histories.
Dental assistant prohibited tasks changes include (WAC 246-817-540):
• Rewording intra-orally adjust and finish permanent restorations; and
• Deleting semi-permanent from placing of permanent restorations in natural teeth.
Expanded function dental auxiliary (EFDA) allowable tasks changes include (WAC 246-817-525):
• Deleting all dental assistant tasks and referred to dental assistant rule;
• Rewording place, carve, finish, and polish direct restorations;
• Rewording place, expose, and process radiographs; and
• Adding language to require a dentist to ensure the EFDA has demonstrated the skills necessary to perform each task competently.
Expanded function dental auxiliary prohibited tasks changes include (WAC 246-817-545):
• Rewording intra-orally adjust and finish permanent inlays, crowns, and bridges; and
• Correcting reference to WAC 246-817-520 (4) (e).
Source: Washington State Department of Health, 2/22/17