DQAC Rules Hearing - 10/28
The Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) will be holding a rules hearing at 8:05 a.m. at their October 28, 2016 business meeting to consider adoption of amendments to acts that may be performed by licensed dental hygienists under general and close supervision (WAC 246-817-550 & WAC 246-817-560).
The proposed rules amendments update the listing of allowable duties a dentist may delegate to a licensed dental hygienist under general and close supervision. The Dental Hygiene Examining Committee requested DQAC to move specific tasks from close supervision to general supervision and add new tasks for dental hygienists. As a reminder, close supervision requires the dentist to be physically present in the treatment facility during the performance of a delegated task while general supervision does not.
The proposed rules amendments are as follows:
- Add head and neck examination to general supervision;
- Add administering local anesthetics including reversal agents and buffered anesthetic under general supervision when certain conditions are met, and clarifies when these tasks are required under close supervision;
- Add taking specific impressions to general supervision;
- Add delivery of pre-medication for antibiotic prophylaxis to general supervision; and
- Amends administering of local anesthetics in close supervision by adding reversal agents, buffered anesthetic, and reference when general supervision is appropriate under WAC 246-817-550 (6).
Please provide any comments or concerns directly to email@example.com or on DQAC’s rules comment page by October 21, 2016.
Alternatively, interested parties may testify verbally at the hearing on October 28, 2016. DQAC’s business meetings are held at the Department of Health, 310 Israel Rd. SE, Tumwater, WA 98501.