12/9 DQAC Rules Hearing
The Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC) will be holding a rules hearing at 8:05 a.m. during their December 9, 2016 meeting. The proposed rules amendments update the scope of practice for registered dental assistants and licensed expanded function dental auxiliaries (EFDAs) (WAC 246-817-510, 520, 525, 540 and 545) to current practice standards eliminating confusion for dental professionals and the public receiving dental care.
The proposed changes to the dental assistant allowable tasks include:
- Adding placing cavity liners and bases;
- Adding sterilize equipment and disinfect operatories;
- Adding bonding attachments for clear removable orthodontic aligners;
- Adding a dental assistant cannot intra-orally adjust or finish permanent restoration as part of polishing restorations;
- Adding apply bonding agents to perform acid etch;
- Adding remove orthodontic cement and orthodontic bonded resin material to fixed orthodontic appliances;
- Detailing specific types of impressions and added digital scans;
- Clarifying that starting and stopping the flow of nitrous oxide as part of assist in administration of inhalation minimal sedation (nitrous oxide);
- Clarifying select and fit orthodontic bands;
- Clarifying a dentist shall determine teethe are free of calculus before dismissing the patient after a dental assistant performs coronal polish;
- Rewording place, expose, and process radiographs;
- Rewording placing a matrix and wedge for a direct restoration after a dentist has prepared the teeth;
- Rewording fabricate, cement, and remove temporary crowns or temporary bridges;
- Rewording prepare teeth for the bonding of orthodontic appliances;
- Rewording give patient education in oral hygiene;
- Adding language to require a dentist to ensure the dental assistant has demonstrated the skills necessary to perform each task competently, specifically to address use of high speed versus slow speed hand pieces; and
- Deleting taking health histories.
The proposed changes to the dental assistant prohibited tasks include:
- Rewording intra-orally adjust and finish permanent restorations; and
- Deleting semi-permanent from placing of permanent restorations in natural teeth.
The proposed changes to the expanded function dental auxiliary (EFDA) allowable tasks include:
- Deleting all dental assistant tasks and referred to dental assistant rule;
- Rewording place, carve, finish, and polish direct restorations;
- Rewording place, expose, and process radiographs; and
- Adding language to require a dentist to ensure the EFDA has demonstrated the skills necessary to perform each task competently.
The proposed changes to the expanded function dental auxiliary prohibited tasks include:
- Rewording intra-orally adjust and finish permanent inlays, crowns, and bridges; and
- Correcting reference to WAC 246-817-520 (4) (e).
Please provide any comments or concerns directly to email@example.com or on DQAC’s rules comment page by December 2, 2016.
Alternatively, interested parties may testify verbally at the hearing on December 9, 2016. DQAC’s business meetings are held at the Department of Health, 310 Israel Rd. SE, Tumwater, WA 98501.
Source: Jennifer Santiago (DENTAL-QAC listserv, November 1, 2016)